Monday, March 29, 2010

Enough Whining Already! You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

There is a great line in the movie The Fugitive. Harrison Ford (the fugitive) is running away from Tommy Lee Jones (the US Marshal). The fugitive, when finally cornered, turns to the marshal and screams, "I didn't kill my wife!" The marshal responds: "I don't care!"

Well that’s how I am starting to feel when I read in the paper about how difficult a teacher’s life is or how teachers and administrators are required to bring non-direct-teaching-related skills or qualities to the job.

When I was a young and inexperienced Project Manager in the 1970’s, I dared to complain to my boss (mentor & friend) that I wasn’t making enough money and that I felt unappreciated. I will always remember his response.

He said: “Look Ken, enough whining already! You knew the job was dangerous when you took it! You are not indispensable and can easily be replaced. Of course, if you think you can do better, you can always quit. Now, go back to work!”

Back then I was lucky to have a job. Back then, as today, there were plenty of other qualified people looking for work. What my boss said was pretty harsh, but he taught me three valuable lessons. Don’t be so quick to complain. Hold on to what you have. Be grateful for having a job to complain about.

Teachers and administrators claim to be professionals. Harping about how difficult your job is or how your job sucks are not attributes normally associated with professional behavior.

I have friends who are teachers; quite a few actually. Those working in less affluent districts are envious of our teachers and administrators. Who can blame them?

Let me give my teacher and administrator friends at District 207 and surrounding districts a little advice.

Enough whining already! It’s unseemly. You knew the job was dangerous when you took it! You are not indispensable and you and I know that your position can be eliminated. Of course, if you think you can do better, you can always quit. Now, let's get on with the job!

But that’s just my opinion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't agree more. Some teachers and administrators talk about their jobs and sound like they're packing sardines on cannery row. The tenured teachers sound especially whiney and entitled.

Anonymous said...

If they weren't doing other things besides teaching, maybe they wouldn't be working so hard!

Butterly on Education said...

I agree with Anon 6:10. One of the problems with the education business is that it has taken on more than it can handle.

These additional and sometimes redundant non-teaching functions, are often performed by other tax-supported social service organizations.

Teachers are not social workers. To include redundant social service activities under the education umbrella is wastful and inefficiant.

I believe, that if school systems would just stick to their core job, teaching, while leaving leaving non-teaching social service activities to others, and if they performed the job in the exceptional manner that we all know they can, students, parents and taxpayers would be better off.