Monday, August 02, 2010

Dr. Clay is back!

Can you believe it?  Just when I thought he’d fallen overboard and was lost, Dr. Clay returned.  There is a slight problem however.  Says I need to set the record straight.  Says he never left, never called it quits. 

How could I made such an error? 

Here in its entirety is the message Dr. Clay wrote under: EMSD#63’s Dr. Clay calls it quits. Again! 

“Mr. Butterly,

You need to reread my past responses carefully. I have never said I was ‘calling it quits’ nor that I would not be responding to your blog ever again. What I did say, wasI believe it is now in the best interest of our district that I restrict my responses to your blog.’ That was the only time I indicated I would be limiting my responses on here. Please, in the interest of honest dialogue, set the record straight with your readers.
I have made it clear that I welcome debate in regard to what I believe is in the best interest of our students and our school district. I don't believe it is good use of my time as superintendent to get into debates where the discussion has strayed to things like NAFTA, your suggestion that I should negotiate with foreign governments to set up teacher recruitment opportunities, or the distance from here to Mexico City. Those things have nothing to do with the challenges we face in this district. I will continue to interact in debates that are focused on the actual issues.
Also, thank you for listing the link to our blog in your last post. I do appreciate the effort.
Sincerely,
Dr. Clay

July 28, 2010 2:05 PM”

Of course not everyone interpreted Dr. Clays statement the same way he did.

Anon: July 29, 2010 8:05 PM wrote the following comment in response to Spain is a great place for a vacation. Hope our lucky administrators had good ones – Update.

"Dr. Scott Clay, Superintendent July 22, 2010 2:31 PM wrote:

'I believe it is now in the best interest of our district that I restrict my responses to your blog. Originally, I believed that addressing your individual concerns would open up a valuable dialogue; however I now believe that such a discussion has limited value....'

'... My blog, at emsd63.edublogs.org, will continue to be used to communicate and hopefully interact with our community. You and your readers are welcome to address your concerns there or with me in person.'

Seems to me like he was quitting!

Anon: July 29, 2010 8:05 PM "

Dr. Clay, I am not a stupid man, and in spite of my lacking an Ed D from Nova Southeast in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, your statement clearly indicates your intent to cease our “honest” and “valuable” dialogue through this blog.

If you were not quitting or limiting your responses to this blog you would have said something else, as you did on June 15, 2010 2:52 PM, when you stated:

"… Mr. Butterly, we have both spent far more time addressing a relatively small expenditure that took place four years ago than is really warranted. I will not be responding to this post any further."

I do owe all of my readers an slight apology. Dr. Clay only quit the blog once. The other time he quit the post.

Mea culpa!

Dr. Clay, reader Anon: July 29, 2010 8:05, I assume, knew the difference between quitting the blog and quitting the post because he only used the one quote.  I am sorry for my misstated heading, it should have read “Dr. Clay calls it quits.” Never the less, you did, all-be-it temporarily, quit this blog.

Welcome back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On again, off again, on again. Don't know what to make of it. Doesn't he read his own posts for christ sakes? This mans got to go and the board members that chose him as well. We've got a couple more years of this turkey!

Anonymous said...

You are damn lucky to have a man that has dedicated his life to kids and education. Why don't all you idiots on this blog use your time in a more useful manner like playing with razor blades.
Mrs Buttersworth does not have the guts to meet Dr Clay face to face and instead hides on the internet like the coward he truly is. He will make up some long winded excuse why it would do no good but you and I all know the truth he is as yellow as the poop in his undies.