Monday, June 28, 2010

Dr. Clay creates EMSD#63 Blog Site…

Welcome to the Blogosphere Dr. Clay!  

Two observations.

1.) I looked over the page and quite frankly, I guess I just don’t get it.  There’s nothing printed on the page that is different from the type of articles one currently sees within the District’s FORUM newsletter. 

Maybe Dr. Clay, is attempting to economize by replacing the FORUM with a blog?  Also, is he writing the blog himself? 

2.) I also have a mechanical problem with it.  He needs to get rid of the message posting requirements. 

Name __('(required)')

Mail (will not be published) __('(required)')

Website

Anti-spam word: (Required)*

By placing these “restrictions” to anonymity as part of his blog’s “messages” function, he is, I fear, restricting the number of constructive comments to:

  • only those messengers not intimidated by the message restrictions or
  • just those readers of like mind.

Removing this impediment, would go a long way toward drawing in new readers and maximize comments. I might even comment.  You never know!  Just a thought.

As an aside, the idea of entering characters is redundant, assuming he or some other EMSD#63 employee is monitoring responses.

To the readers of this blog, why don’t you stop on over there from time-to-time.  I sure know I will!

Anyway, a hearty welcome.

2 comments:

Dr. Scott Clay said...

Mr. Butterly,
Thank you for the welcome. You are spot on with the idea that the blog may be part of economizing. While it is mainly a desire to communicate with our community, it will serve, along with my Community Connection newsletter (through Constant Contact), as a replacement to at least one issue, possibly both issues of the Forum.
I am indeed writing the blog myself and finding my way through this new (to me) tool for communication. I have waivered about my decision to not allow anonymous comments. The blog is a very recent addition to my communication plan and I am still considering changing that component. Stay tuned.
As for the content, again, the blog is new. My initial posts were items that I wanted to communicate to our public, including the news about our ISAT scores and AYP. There is good news in there Mr. Butterly, along with further confirmation of our areas for focus.
And yes, I am writing the blog myself.
Dr. Scott Clay
Superintendent

Kenneth Butterly said...

Dr. Clay,

You'll notice that I have you linked for my reader’s convenience.

Happy blogging!